The Yoruba people of Nigeria are an ethnic group of Southwestern and North Central Nigeria as well as Southern and Central Benin, together known as Yoruba land. The Yoruba constitute over 40 million people in total. The majority of this population is from Nigeria and make up 21% of its population, according to the CIA world fact book this makes them one of the largest ethnic groups in Africa. The majority of Yoruba people are known for a lot of things, one of those things is their penchant for colorful insults. Here are some insults all Yoruba mothers use freely:
1. Oponu :The word means an ignoramus or a very stupid person. So when you do something stupid, orappear confused, a Yoruba mother will surely hit you with: Oponu! Nigerian phrases that will leave you confused The insult will have you looking confused like….
3. Ode Ode: is a classic. Used by almost everyone with a grasp of Yoruba and it basically means stupid. It is so commonplace, many do not even feel insulted when it is used on them. I Dont care I don’t care Imagine someone calling you Ode and expecting you to feel insulted, but you have been called Ode all your life.
4. Obun: This is used to call into question, a person’s personal hygiene, so it can mean anything from dirty to filthy. Usually used when your room looks like a pigsty that has not been cleaned in years. Messy room Messy room If your room looks like this half the time, then you are an ‘Obun’.
5. Oloshi: As commonplace as Ode, it is used almost by everyone and it means someone who does rubbish a lot. many translate it as unfortunate, but it means someone who is interested in unnecessary things. Oloshi Oloshi Oloshi is perfect as a suffix when you want to insult people.
6. Olodo Olodo: is an insult used to describe someone as having low intelligence. An Olodo is dull, slow and most likely has problems with school work or other academic activities. crying child Crying child You will likely hear a mother use it when her child comes home with poor school results.
7. Didirin Didirin: is a close relative of Olodo and Ode, it is a cross between the two and can be used to describe someone who has low mental faculties Sweating-man When someone calls you ‘Didirin’ 8. Apoda Apoda :is like the superlative of Oponu. It means someone who is confused and has little or no direction. It is one of the most painful insults. Patience
8 : Omo oshi : this is a close relative of oloshi .. this one will make you womnder if it was this woman tha gave birth to you
DROP YOURS :